Bohemia Opus - Kennel Bedlington terrier FCI
In 1997, we started breeding a rough-haired fox terrier. In order to breed puppies with a certificate of origin, we asked for an internationally protected breeding station FCI. Our breeding station BOHEMIA OPUS was established on 25 February 1999 with registration number 190/99. We raised two litters of puppies in 2000 (born 2 boys and 6 girls) and in 2005 (born 3 girls). After the birth of our daughter and because of her severe allergy to fur, we had to stop breeding for many years.
Since the daughter was 13 years old and eczema became normal, even after discussions with friends that the dog could help mainly psychologically, in 2016 we started to monitor suitable breeds for allergic children despite the ban of the pediatrician.
We were interested in the bedlington terrier breed even for allergy sufferers, but we were a little worried about the nature of what they said on the Internet, like a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing and pictures of a hunchbacked dog. We now know that their nature is divine, endearing and wonderful if they care enough. From our experience, the exhibition hump in a young dog is achieved by a more or less demanding modification. My daughter still has eczema, but it hasn't gotten any worse, and she cuddles them indefinitely. Maybe if we didn't have our Tomísko (Tomchu) cat, who unfortunately still has hair, I believe that eczema might no longer be a problem for our daughter.
Bedlington terrier breeding has been a concern since the day we brought home our first female on 16.1.2017 Josephina Slovanský Perun (Jezinku) nar. 18.11.2016 from Polné u Jihlava. When we bought it, we promised to try to participate in dog shows. We had no idea what it was all about, how to make the right adjustment, that is, to cut the bedlington, and to the exhibition. Since many in the nearest dog salons did not have experience, probably because there are very few loincloths in our republic, my husband and I started to bathe and cut our dog ourselves, and this was a mistake. Because if you want an excellent exhibition rating it's alchemy, but when you get lucky it's a beautiful fragrant sheep. Today we are still looking at what and how to improve...because there is no one in the Czech Republic to advise. It was not until autumn 2018 at the exhibition in Bratislava 26-28.10.2018 that we met Mrs. Anna Kulichová – a super lady who gave us some good advice on what to look out for when editing and where not to cut, for which we thank her very, very much.
We currently own two females, Josephine Slovanský Perun born 18.11.2016 and her daughter from foreign cover Annie Angel Bohemia Opus born 18.9.2019.
Why did we start breeding bedlington terriers?
- After a long pause in breeding, we began to look for a suitable breed. First of all, because of our atopic and almost all-allergic children, we were intrigued that it was a dog for allergy sufferers and not lazy at all. Too bad we didn't find out about this amazing breed sooner.
- Next, the decisive size was that it was neither small (so we wouldn't step on it) nor large, just right for us. Beautiful eyes and the appearance of a sheep, but of course without a thorough adjustment it looks a little different.
- We were surprised at how difficult it is still in our republic in 2016-2017 to get a bedlington terrier puppy. We waited about five months for our puppy (bedline - our first love). Back then, of course, we weren't privy to facebook and other technological advances like today. Today we would probably choose other paths when acquiring puppies.
- The big surprise was that when we wanted to cover our female Jezinka in 2019, we did not find a suitable selection in our country. Kindred breeding predominated.
- Our goal is to bring new blood to Bohemia and thus improve healthy breeding, preferably by foreign cover and parents who have performed tests for copper toxicosis registered in the PA. As long as there are two of us, we will try to maintain healthy breeding at the level of appropriate selection and proper socialization. We hope to continue to prosper. Although, as we all know, it is not only the financial means that matter, but also nature. We want more joyous crates that will instantly put a smile on your face...
Someone told us that bedlington would never be a pet, that they were detached, but we have to say that we managed to change that quality on our first litter A. Our ANNIE BOHEMIA OPUS is proof of that. She is not only cuddly, but also a very welcoming cute little girl. Her mother our first bedlinka JOSEPHINE SLOVANSKÝ PERUN (Jezinka) is no greeter, but for that she is a wonderful good and caring mother.